Chris Mitton left his career as a mac designer to work as assistant to the sculptor Giles Penny, and later in the stone-carving studio of Andrea Schulewitz. He now works independently, carving at his West Sussex studio.
By using the aesthetic and provenance of classical fine art methods and materials, such as Carrara marble, while referencing contemporary, ubiquitous and throwaway objects, Mitton establishes a counterpoint and in so doing raises universal questions surrounding the subjective nature of value, both aesthetically and conceptually, whilst also addressing the impact socially of the original object through the time and skill invested in the creation of the artwork.
Items 1-12 of 33
- Chris MittonBottle£6,000.00
- Chris MittonSmiley£4,500.00
- Chris MittonDesigner T-Shirt£4,000.00
- Chris MittonFag Packet£950.00
- Chris MittonCoffee Cup£1,200.00
- Chris MittonHoodie (Cast Carrara Marble)£1,500.00
- Chris MittonHoodie (Cast Basalt Stone)£1,500.00
- Chris MittonAdjustable Spanner£1,500.00
- Chris MittonHammer£1,950.00
- Chris MittonThe Obscene Cost of Shelter (Brick)£750.00
- Chris MittonXbox Console & Controller£14,500.00
- Chris MittonBroken 2016£1,600.00